Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a Center Tap really works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauthier

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does this schematic is right? redressement double alternance.JPG

If yes tell me how in that schematic: BA Double corriger corriger.JPG the C.T. can be use as a 0V reference voltage.

It's really confusing me, there's not suppose to be voltage on the C.T. if my first draw is good?

thanks

Gauthier

Schematic #1.

Uses the transformer's secondary coils at a 50% duty rate. Current goes through one half of the secondary at a time.

It's less likely to overheat. And it has a low parts count. However it is not the most efficient use of a transformer.

Schematic #2.

Uses the transformer secondary at 100% duty rate. Current goes through the entire secondary coil on each half of the AC power cycle.

The center tap is there in case a return path for current is needed. Which is to say, the c.t. carries current only: (a) if loads are unequal, or (b) if a load is absent on either side.

Voltage is relative. when we label a node "0V", it is done to make analysis easier. after all, the node could also be labeled "1000V", with other nodes being "1005V" and "995V" instead of "5V" and "-5V".

the 0, 6, 12 markings are done to indicate how the windings are configured -- the 0V here is again just an opinion. you can call any of the terminals 0V as long as you re-label the others (-6 0 6) or (-12 -6 0).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back