Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you excite a stripline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfurlan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I have I very simple question (I think it's simple). How do you excite a stripline? With coax cable or? If with coax cable – how do you connect the cable to the stripline?
Thanks in advance!

Re: microstrip excitation

I think the best is to use a stripline to CPW transistion.
Here is an example:
**broken link removed**

Re: microstrip excitation

Thanks but this will not work for my. Any other ideas?

Re: stripline excitation

Coax to stripline is the best possible transistion, since the Efields match up the best. You have to make sure there is a good ground connection between the top ground plane and the coax outer conductor, and a good ground connection between the bottom ground plane and the coax outer conductor.

vfurlan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi,

coax excitation is the best if the diameter of outer coax conductor is approximately equal to the thickness of the stripline substrate. It it is not (typically if coax is much larger than stripline substrate) a strong discontinuity might occure, so some other excitation based on planar transmission lines - transitions might work better.

flyhigh

The procedure depeds on your specific application. In general, the outer conductor is soldered to the ground plane, and the inner one is extended through a via an specific length (indirect coupling) or all the way to be soldered to the strip conductor (direct coupling). But the loacation of the contact point with strip in direct coupling or the length extension of inner conductor in indirect coupling and many other parameters influence the performance of your design and thus must be optimized accordingly.
If you be more specific about your problem, the disscusion can be more Concise and helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back