Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you calculate electromigration and how to avoid it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

protonixs

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do you calculate electromigration? how to avoid it?
thanks

Re: electromigration

electromigration can be avoided by taking care that the current density in the metal strip is low....

electro migration occurs when current density in 1 metal layer is very high.......that can provide electrons flowing through that metal a large amount of energy, thus a electron leaves the metal causing holes....
these holes can lead to open....thus destroying the metal.

FIX:-
first find the current that a particular metal is supposed to carry.........then using the DRM find the minimum width of the metal needed to carry that amount of current.
another way is to split the current in 2 or more parallel paths, this way you can avoid use of a single thick layer of metal.

Hope this answers your question.

stuck_adc said:
electro migration occurs when current density in 1 metal layer is very high.......that can provide electrons flowing through that metal a large amount of energy, thus a electron leaves the metal causing holes....
these holes can lead to open....thus destroying the metal.

FIX:-
first find the current that a particular metal is supposed to carry.........then using the DRM find the minimum width of the metal needed to carry that amount of current.
another way is to split the current in 2 or more parallel paths, this way you can avoid use of a single thick layer of metal.

Hope this answers your question.

AFAIK,
to address electromigration issue, metal widths are increased, and via count is increased. we cannot make via fatter, as there is a max via width rule from foundry.

electromigration

Also you can avoid electromigration by making a hole in all wide metals according to you design rules.

hello,

See ur DRM 'Design Rule Manual' which provide the maximum allowed Idc and Irms for each of the metal wiring levels

A+

hi
i have a question.i use 1um width metal1 wire to carry 4mA dc current .the design manul of my technology says that 1um width metal1 carry 0.8mA in the electromigration section of the DRM. what i want to know is ,can the circuit work for a short while .can the thin 1um metal1 becomes open as soon as i power the chip up? or my chip can't work for a long time only?

hi
Rules are given to protect against two types of current-induced fails: standard EM and local heating enhanced EM:
- For standard EM the rules define
- a maximum DC current Idc: idc < Idc
- For local-heating enhanced EM the rules define
- a maximum RMS current Irms: irms < Irms
For any current signal i(t) both conditions (idc < Idc, irms < Irms) have to be fulfilled.

---> thin 1um metal1 becomes open as soon as u power the chip up.

A+

i read the design manul again.
it says 1um width metal1 can carry at least 7.8mA Irms.
can my chip burn open as soon as i power my chip up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back