Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I create a panel after finishing layout ? (cadstar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorjay

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I finish the PCB layout for the board and now I want to fabricate this layout as 3 boards on one panel via Cadstar.

How Do I go about with it ?

I tried to duplicate the board with its placements but I get this msg "Exceeded product limits for Board outlines."

Please advise. Thanks.

Re: How do I create a panel after finishing layout ? (cadsta

OK, here goes....

There are some principles that you need to understand first when doing this.

1) You can only have 1 board outline in CADSTAR.
2) You can only have 1 instance of each component name I E. 1 x R1, 1x R2 etc.
3) If you are getting a PCB manufacturer to make this then they prefer to do the panellisation and it will be better than yours as they know their manufacturing requirements better.
-------------------
#1)
To start, with your finished board - in order to copy it all you would need to select the board outline, choose "duplicate shape" and make a copy of the board as a figure - perhaps onto a documentation layer of its own.

Then when you select the design to copy, turn off the board in colours and select & copy the new figure in its place with the rest of the design.
t is best to have ALL layers & items turned on & copyable when you do this.

#2) HOWEVER! all the legend component names will automatically increment to unused numbers. You would need to add text for the original name/number on the legend layer & move the changed component names to an unused layer.

For a large board this can take a bit of time to do, however if you are making the panel in house then this is the only way within CADSTAR of doing it.

#3) Creating Gerbers and using something like CAM350 or GC-Place is IMO a much better way of doing it as changing hundreds of names can take a long time, especially if you later change the design & need to redo it.

Any problems, just ask....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back