Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did they made the old manuals or magazines sketches?

neazoi

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Such nice sketches in olr magazines and manuals... How did they make them? Obviously there were no computers capable back then but this seems almost a handrawn work, setting aside the almost perfect representation. Did they really have people sketching them? The amount of work that a product manual needed for example, seems amazing.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 46

KlausST

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I guess they were mainly hand drawn.
And for they used transparent foil with printed patterns like hatches, brick walls,... and the one that is used here as "bottom of chassis"

Klaus

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

betwixt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Yes, all hand drawn by experts with steady hands.
Even complex double sided PCB layouts were made with sticky dots and adhesive black tape on a transparent sheets!

Brian.

neazoi

wwfeldman

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
draftsmen and artists

my 1970 E&M (lorrain & corson 2nd edition) book has some really nice, hand drawn, figures
i think they are a lot better than the color stuff you get today using computers
the art of drawing figures is dying

January 1981
black and white Nexus comic book used zip-a-tone to provide various tone effects

neazoi

crutschow

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Yes, before computers, virtually every figure was either hand-drawn or a photograph.
There were a lot of artists who could do amazing drawings.

When I was in school I took a semester mechanical drafting class (mandatory for engineering students).
I wasn't real good at it, but it was interesting to learn the various techniques such as how to draw various (accurate to scale) views of the same object.

At my first job there were a dozen draftsman that did all the mechanical and electrical diagrams/schematics for the things we built.

neazoi

dpasek

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Everything was hand drawn by draftsmen and illustrators. There were rooms full of people sitting at drafting tables making pen and ink drawings on mylar film. The Heath Company (Heathkit) had a large staff of illustrators in their manuals department.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: