Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How challenging is it to design a PLL with 50ps Jitter and 100MHz clock output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everybody,

How challenging is to design a PLL with 50ps Jitter and 100MHz clock output?
Process could be either 0.18u or 0.35u.

Regards,

Re: PLL Design

do you mean 50ps peak-to-peak jitter or 50ps rms jitter?

sutapanaki said:
do you mean 50ps peak-to-peak jitter or 50ps rms jitter?

50ps peak-to-peak Jitter

I think 50ps p2p is a bit agressive. Look in the IEEE publication if it was done before. What supply noise do you expect?

chanchg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

narrow band and using 0.18u

PLL Design

can someone tell me how to calculate jitter .i have simulated a pll in cadence.now i need to calculate the various jitter metrics (long term jitter etc).also if there is a method to remove the ripple in the vco control voltage due to the up and down signals (the up and down keep going high for a short time even when the pll is locked),then is it a good work or should they be allowed (razavi's chapter on pll's says up and down signals going high for a short time reduces the dead band when pll is in lock).

regards
amarnath

PLL Design

i think instead of going in for a behavioral model.in spectre if u plot the eye-daigram,for the time when the pll has acquired lock to the end of the transient simulation time then u can use the information to calculate long term jtter etc.

regards
amarnath

if the vco is implemented as CMOS ring oscillator, I think 50ps p2p is too difficult.
if the vco is implemented as LC oscillator , maybe the phase noise of clock can be reduced. that's my opinion. hope it helps.

chanchg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hey amarnath,

I am interested in how to calculate p2p or rms jitter by the eye-diagram plot? Could you give us more details about it.
I am also working on the design of PLL, but wonder how to calculate the jitter.

Thanks in advance

PLL Design

hello nibo_mmx

refer to this link i have posted the info there.

regards
amarnath

PLL Design

you must reduce the power supply noise

I dont think you can calculate jitter using simulation. You can only estimate using models (Hajimiri or Razavi) by introducing major noise source (VCO noise & supply noise). And it is not easy to get 50ps c-2-c jitter using CMOS ring oscillator.

PLL Design

yes that is true to a certaion extent.if u want to estimate the real time performance of the pll then u need to use these equations in those papers to characterize jitter due to vco.

regards
amarnath

a think you mean p-p 50 ps
you must use regulator

I have a PLL diesign with a ring oscillor (CMOS) already in place. I want to put a regulator to reduce supply noise to VCO. What regulator configuration should i use? I cant have much voltage drop on the regulated voltage so that my VCO works correctly. I cant use use an LDO since i cant use an external CAP for compensation. Please suggest.
Can u suggest some reading for this?

Added after 49 minutes:

to add to above, the VCO runs at 800Mhz and the power supply is 3.3V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back