Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I test the overall noise in a circuit and what would be the experimental setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Msmatrixin

How can i test overall noise in a circuit and what would be the experimental setup?

If I design my own analogue circuit, then how should I measure the overall noise in that circuit. If I say, that overall noise in a circuit is the summation of all noises - thermal, shot, flicker, etc.- then would it be correct?
What is the approach basically?

Re: How can i test overall noise in a circuit and what would be the experimental setu

Hi,

Calculation:
If the noise sources are independent, then you need to add the squared values, then take the squareroot.

Measurement:
Take a lot of ADC samples. Remove the DC offset of all samples, ten calculate RMS.

Klaus

Re: How can i test overall noise in a circuit and what would be the experimental setu

ok.
Going into basics a bit, if I have to get the input noise voltages and currents of an analogue circuit(not talking about opamps or adc but any analog circuit), how should i measure it?
Are there any calculations? or a test set-up to measure Input noise voltages and currents wherein, I give signal and supplies to the analogue circuit in the input and then check for the noise contribution in Output?(want to go by an expert's opinion)

Hi,

I´m a bit confused. I think I already answered your questions, but then you ask the same questions again.

Let´s imagine your "analog circuit" as black box. With one input and one output.
Noise sources are:
* noise input to your box (generated outside the black box)
* noise generated inside the black box.

Maybe read through this aplication note: https://www.analog.com/media/en/reference-design-documentation/design-notes/dn015f.pdf
Although it´s name says "in Opamp circuits" most of the information can be related to any analog circuit.

Some questions:
* do you want to know overall noise (which I understand as output noise), or
* do you want to know input noise values (black box inside generated only)?
* do you want the noise value as "noise voltage RMS" or do you want the "noise as spectral distribution" in a chart?

I´m not sure why you mix "calculation" and "measurement". This are different things. Either you want to calculate it (see application note) or you want to measure it (see post#2).

If you want to discuss several problems/solutions, then please decide wich one to discuss first, then focus on it.

Klaus

Thank you sir for the answer.

Pardon my lack of experience this field. I was unable to distinguish b/w measurement and calculations. The matter is, I just wanted to 'calculate' the noise values before-hand, and then may-be cross verify using a digital scope. I basically was confused that, when I say this is the overall noise in the circuit then how should I be mentioning it. Going fwd i wanted to reduce the overall noise from the circuit and that would happen if i go component by component in the circuit.

Some questions:
* do you want to know overall noise (which I understand as output noise), or
* do you want to know input noise values (black box inside generated only)?
i want to know both because i am working on both things
* do you want the noise value as "noise voltage RMS" or do you want the "noise as spectral distribution" in a chart?
i believe most of the datasheets mention it as noise spectral density, so noise as spectral distribution will be preferred.

Again if i am making no sense then please pardon.

Hi,

To measure the spectral distribution one method is:
* measure a lot of samples. Preferred count = 2^x, sampling rate: higher than 2x the highest frequency of interest. Range and resolution according your application. (The voltage resolution of most digital scopes won't give good results). Maybe use a PC soundcard.
* then run a fourier analysis on the sample data. FFT. Even possible with Excel.

* or use a scope with FFT function.

Klaus

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.