Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i detect earth fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxtigerxx

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dc earth fault

do you know any circuit so i can detect earth fault.

:p

dc earth fault relays

In AC circuits you can use RCDs (residual current device) or GFM (ground fault monitor) .. more info on both can be easily found googling ..

In DC circuits so far I haven't come across any reliable circuit ..

Regards,
IanP

dc earth fault relay

For DC (ungrounded system), I have seen battery chargers with two bulbs wired in series from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The bulbs are rated for the full DC voltage and divide the voltage fairly evenly and both glow dim.

Now, connect the common node (between the two light bulbs) to earth. If either the negative terminal or the positive terminal get shorted to ground, one bulb will go out and the other will glow bright (and depending on which one, you know where the fault is). In fact, if the fault is a soft fault (with some impedance) one bulb will glow brighter than the other. This is a good visual detection (but could easily be modified to generate an alarm etc).

Note, this is a specific case (ungrounded DC system, like on a car). Hope that helps some.

-jonathan

car earth fault

onnect the common node (between the two light bulb

how to detect earth fault

Its really hard to locate the actual location of earth fault in live condition of a DC power supply distribution board, specially with each circuit which has its own separate distributed load.
In one of the distribution board a DC Earth Fault relay was connected, this relay has a various current setting for supervisory of earth fault ranging 1mA up to 10mA.
We encountered earthfault in the system registering a 4.5mA fault, which is so hard to determine the location since we could not switched off/isolate the individual mcb's in the distribution board that could lead loss of power supply on each circuits. These circuits were used for switchgear control system, SCADA and Emergency lighting.
Is there a way to exactly determine which circuits in the distribution board has the earthfaulted connection?
DC earthfault has damaged some of our Battery Charger/Rectifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back