Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I detect an IR Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

locknut

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to detect ir beam

I am trying to line up an IR transmiiter with an IR reciever that are approximately 9 ft apart. The transitter is about 1/2" square and the reciever is about 1/2" square, it is a very difficult task to say the least. Is there a way to visibly detect this beam so I could make this process easier? Is there equipment that is available to rent or make, that will see this kind of IR?

Did you try a video or still camera? Usual camera chips are sensitive for near IR as well. Available IR sensor cards are most likely not sensitive enough to detect the beam at that distance.

Do you use a complex optic system to concentrate the beam? If not, about any mobile phone with camera can "see" IR - it's portable and easy to use.

FvM said:
Did you try a video or still camera? Usual camera chips are sensitive for near IR as well. Available IR sensor cards are most likely not sensitive enough to detect the beam at that distance.

Frank are you proposing to detect the reflection of the transmitted IR from the background near the receiver (suppose the reciever is mounted on a wall)? That could work. May be, a temporary background could be placed behind the reciever during the alignment.

Another device that could work (similar approach) is a nigh-vision goggle - they are sensitive to IR. Civillian night vision tubes can be relatively inexpensive.

I'd also like to invite your question to a group dedicated to sensors: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back