Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I design and simulate a wireless/RF system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atioky_216

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm designing Rf wireless system in university. Zigbee (Texs. ins., Atmel, nxp etc. ), wifi(Tex. ins., etc.) system circits it's my personal area. However I never simulated this circuits. How can I trust , my circuit absolutely will work? I have lots of development board, all system is working and I wanna simulate RF system too(with same PCB).

I searched but i didn't find anything. I thought i shall use SIwave or agilent ADS for simulate RF chip and RF sub-circuit (with Rf filter, antenna on same PCB, s-parameters etc..) but how is possibble , i didn't find it..

Application Specific IC can not be simulated directly but they can be modelled with functional blocks.
In this wise, you can extract the functional blocks of the IC and put them in a system simulator to predict the system functionality.In additional to, you may add peripheral passive and active components to complete the whole chain.But the most important thing is to model the components well.
Some functional blocks might not be found in simulator's library therefore you should create your own functional blocks by defining mathematical expressions that is pretty difficult.

But if manufacturer don't create RF file (s2p,s*p,... or something ) for their ICs how can we create that? Did you use Sıwave or agilent ADS with any RF transceiver or something ? i also using LNA, mixer or anything because manufacturer give us all file, but transceiver file never I found.

Soon i will try some circuit and i'll add RF pins impedance with RF modulated signal (ofdm, qpsk etc. in AWR designer) but you see, i'm never trust it that :(
i just need transceiver RF input-output pins s-parameter for simulation but any manufacturer give us...

S parameter simulations are pretty useless for integrated transceiver parts. Most of them are 50 Ohm matched at the input/output, and so you don't really need to match them.

atioky_216,

RFDave and BigBoss are right. Getting useful models can be a challenge especially for complex ICs. Large companies invest heavily in modeling and design methodologies. Below are a few webcasts that show how companies do this.

Skyworks End-to-End Design and Simulation of Handset PA Modules
RF Module Design using Amalfi CMOS PA
Freescale’s Power Amplifier Design Methodology Innovations
GaN on SiC: RFMD High Power Doherty Design, Modeling & Measurement

Joe Civello
ADS Product Manager

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor