Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I build a RS232 splitter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMWE

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

how can i build a RS232 spliter (from one to 2 channels)?

10x

spliter rs232

If you can provide at least one additional control line you can use this scenario:
Transmission from 1 channel to 2-channels can be done without any problems.
Reception from 2-channels to 1 will require this additional control line and 3-state RS-232 transceivers or CMOS/TTL gates.
This control line will select which channel will be read from.
Any other alternative, such as stand alone spliter is just to complicated, as there is no information on which channel should be read.
Regards,
IanP

Re: RS 232 spliter

BMWE said:
Hello!

how can i build a RS232 spliter (from one to 2 channels)?

The answer that match you question is:

"make it simple, just to be functional".

If yo want to get better answer , please be more precise.
Problems:
distance, hand shaking, arbitrage, galvanic separation, uni/bi directional transmission,
describe the task.

i have a communication between 2 devices.

i wanna see what is going on the line - connect to PC.

therefore i need a spliter.

BMWE said:
I want to see what is going on the line - connect to PC.

It means that you rather need a "RS232 monitor"
In term of hardware you can just connect second PC com ports in paralell to monitor the RS232 port (You can consider to use optoisotation).

What you realy need is a software , try:

https://www.beyondlogic.org/

Chapter: "RS232 interfacing "

RS 232 spliter

i didn't meant that.

i need a hardware (from 1->1 channel to 1->2 channel, where the same data on both of the output channels) so i can use the hyper terminal.

If I understand your post correctly, you need to transmit data from 1>>1 and from 1>>2. And this is what I stated in my previous post: for transmission you dont need any additional hardware: just connect both RX lines to your TX line.
Regards,
IanP

IanP said:
If you can provide at least one additional control line you can use this scenario:
Transmission from 1 channel to 2-channels can be done without any problems.

I would sugest to add the AND gate for the signals "ready to receive" that are sent from two receivers to the transmitter.
(In some transmission protocols without this signal the transmitter will not start the transmission).

Of course you can assume that RS232 is such a slow transmission, that receivers are always reagy to read the data.
This is true in many cases, but not all. For example printer without the input data buffer are slower, that RS232 data rate.

In general the whole "hand shaking" system (4 signals) should be considered.
The good start point is to identify the number of wires necessary to cary on the transmission. (it can be from 1 to 6 = Rx, Tx DSR, RTS,...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back