Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Highly flexible coaxial cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrid

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for a highly flexible coaxial cable
-impedace 50ohm
- diameter 5-7mm
- power capacity min 100W
In short, something like **broken link removed**

Hi Astrid
You can have a look into RG series which are suitable for your purpose . ( for example RG5 ..... )
By the way don't say simply 100 watts ! power rating of a coaxial cable also depends on your frequency of operation ! for example it is possible that a cable can operate at 500 MHZ with power of 500 watt but that cable can not operate at 5 GHZ with the same power ! perhaps 1 watt !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I know RG-58, more precisely RG58CU
Unfortunately, this cable has the required flexibility pretty far.
Difficult to describe, but Metcal cable is much more flexible and softer

Re: Highly flexible coaxial cable?

I know RG-58, more precisely RG58CU
Unfortunately, this cable has the required flexibility pretty far.
Difficult to describe, but Metcal cable is much more flexible and softer

Astrid ,
Ok , you need flexibility for your cable , so what is the frequency of operation ? then i can suggest you something .

Yes, flexibility is crucial requirement.
Application is induction heating, frequency 13.56MHz.
Metcal cable inside
flexibility
10311105573613335.jpg

Yes, flexibility is crucial requirement.
Application is induction heating, frequency 13.56MHz.
Metcal cable inside
flexibility

Hi Astrid
You mentioned your application is induction heating ! but don't you think that 13.56MHZ is too high for a simple induction heating ? when you increase the frequency of operation in an induction heating then skin depth will be reduced . for induction heating it is not a good idea to increase the frequency till that range .
And it is my first time to hear that an induction heating requires a high frequency cable !
May i ask you why you have choose that frequency ?
Best Luck !
Goldsmith

13.56MHZ is quite commonly used frequency in the segment induction soldering.
For example, all inductive Metcal soldering iron work at 13.56 MHz, (13,56MHz power supply from Metcal MX5000 .
In any case, 13.56 MHz source for soldering robot we have done, the only thing we lack is coaxial, between source and tip. Coaxial by Metcal is quite satisfactory, but both the short and then the price is absolutely incredible.

Hi Astrid

Now it is different because at first you mentioned induction heating ! but soldering is different . ok , if you want flexibility one of the options is using low power cables ( shield cables which are so flexible and you can find them in every range of impedance . ) but you need to use them in parallel together . ( some of them ) ( to increase power handling ) Do you have access to such cables ?

Induction soldering uses induction heating ferrite element for heating thee soldering tip, so I talked about induction heating. :wink:
Not low power cables with a defined impedance and shielded already coaxial?
In any case, it's the rain under the eaves.
I know of a suitable cable that I can say that will be unable transmitter that jammed far and wide around

Looks like you need some very low loss flexible coax with small?? bend radius that is good for 100W in the 30MHz range?
Bend radius from self-weight of a 1ft length?

Can you confirm these guestimates/specs with numbers?

Teflon is more flexible and low loss than PU.
Layers of foil are more flexible than heavy copper braid.

Beyond this who knows?

Only the edge.
Original Metcal Coaxial inside
5357377339_aece186fee.jpg
outside jacket, guess PVC
subjectively is as flexible as measuring cables Multicontact PVC 1,5mm2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back