Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage nanosecond pulse generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
nanosecond pulse generator

Colleagues,

Could anyone suggest a schematics or a reference for a high voltage pulse generator? I need a 500V pulse 10ns long or sorter. Negative spike from 500V to 0 and back to 500V would work. I have a schematic for an old (1977) pulser, but the SCR that's used there has been discontinued. I know how to generate a nanosecond pulse at the logic levels. But what would be a good topology for the high voltage "switch"? MOSFETs have gate capacitance that needs to be charged within a few nanoseconds. SCRs (which I, unfortunately, don't have experience with) have their own problems too.

Enlightenment will be appreciated!

- Nick

avalanche pulse generator

SCRs can do u the job...But ur freq is too high...Why do u need that kinda pulse? generating ur own noise ?

pulser

what about avalanche transistor

pulse generator circuit avalanche

You should also specify a load impedance and intended risetime.

For moderate specifications, MOSFET would be first choice, I think. The voltage level can achieved without cascaded switches, which is important to reduce the control effort.

The said avalanche transistors can only generate a single fast edge, they could be used in a cable pulser circuit to form rectangular pulses.

For lab purposes, a mercury wetted reed relays can achieve up to 1 kV pulses with 0,2 ns rise time. But the repetition rate is limited to a few 100 Hz and a high jitter is observed, so the trigger must be from the pulse itself. It's mostly used in a cable pulser circuit.

hv pulse generation with fet

Hello

You can get a solid-state pulse generator from Avtech (https://www.avtechpulse.com/) They have all sorts of models including for 500V and 10ns pulse width. They can even build a custom one if needed. Even load and pulse impedance can be set.

Check their online search tool (https://www.avtechpulse.com/pick/).
Cost is mentioned but expect something in order of $10k to $20k.

If you really want to make this yourself you can build it using a fast relay and one meter of coaxial cable. I suppose that you want a 50 ohm environment. People in the ESD field have been building so-called 'Transmission Line Pulser' or TLP equipment. Basically the cable represents a capacitor. You charge up the capacitor to a specific voltage. Have used this up to 10kV in the past. Then a relay is used to connect the "capacitor" to the device under test. when you have a perfect matched circuit you will get a nice square pulse.

- Rise time of 2ns is easy to do with std relay and RG58 coax. If you need shorter rise time special cable and more expensive relay is required.
- pulse width is set by coax length

Check out following publications:
- **broken link removed**

Good luck building!

pulse generator nano second high voltage

FvM said:
The load impedance will be 50 Ohms. Fall time time, probably around 3-5ns.

FvM said:
For moderate specifications, MOSFET would be first choice, I think.
What would drive the gate with?

Faizan Jawaid said:
SCRs can do u the job...But ur freq is too high...Why do u need that kinda pulse? generating ur own noise ?
The big problem is to identify an SCR or a MOSFET+gatedriver that can do this job. After that, I can start experimenting. Could you post a model of an SCR that can do it at my rise time?
I'm designing this pulser to “whack” a piezo transducer with a Dirac function to make it ring.

pulse generator nanosecond kv

What would drive the gate with?
With fast bipolar transistors, designed for RF power amplifiers. Selecting a suitable MOSFET is the most critical point. I have been designing a 500V, 4 ns pulser with vertical DMOS FET, but for a lighter capacitive load. A n-fold parallel circuit would be needed to drive a 50 ohm load.

Most commercially available ns/kV pulsers are using MOSFET or avalanche BJT, but it's far from an easy design.

nano-second pulse generator

you can try using high voltage RF mosfets from APT( now Microsemi) they have 500V RF Mosfets with high speed switching speeds.

voltage pulse + mosfet

Just two potentially useful links:
A web site with lots of DIY high voltage projects **broken link removed**
An article on a cascode MOSFET topology for a nanosecond high voltage pulse generator:
UPDATE: I've ended up buiding a cascode switch similar to this one and it had satisfied my needs.

Re: voltage pulse + mosfet

Just two potentially useful links:
A web site with lots of DIY high voltage projects **broken link removed**
An article on a cascode MOSFET topology for a nanosecond high voltage pulse generator:
UPDATE: I've ended up buiding a cascode switch similar to this one and it had satisfied my needs.

Both of the links are not correct.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

For moderate specifications, MOSFET would be first choice, I think. The voltage level can achieved without cascaded switches, which is important to reduce the control effort.

The said avalanche transistors can only generate a single fast edge, they could be used in a cable pulser circuit to form rectangular pulses.

For lab purposes, a mercury wetted reed relays can achieve up to 1 kV pulses with 0,2 ns rise time. But the repetition rate is limited to a few 100 Hz and a high jitter is observed, so the trigger must be from the pulse itself. It's mostly used in a cable pulser circuit.

can someone recommend a mercury wetted reed relay which can generate 600V 10ns pulser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back