Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to do some high temp testing on a number of capacitors. I want to know the parameters I need to test before during and after the high temp test.
The temp will be around 125C in an oven.
I assume I should power the caps at their rated voltage ont sure whether I should use AC or DC.
I will measure the ESR at room temp and after a number of hrs in the oven.
I think I probably need to measure leakage current at room temp and after a number of hrs in oven ( will have to purchase specific meter to do this)
And acual capacitance value against the temp coeffiecient .
Is there anything else I should measure??

Hi,

I need to do some high temp testing on a number of capacitors
Who told you to do those tests?
He should be able to answer all the questions.

Usually there is a reason for tests. And there should be a specification on "what" and "how to" test.

I think there are no "general" rules for high temperature test of capacitors. It depends on the application where the capacitor should be used in.

Further informations: I´d look into datasheets especially of "high temperature capacitors" and go through their specifications and test parameters.
For sure there may be other than electrical problems with high temperature capactiors: solderability, mechanical stress, piezo effects... but i don´t know if it relates to your application.

Klaus

Thanks for that Klaus, the application is for down hole drilling so just high temp environment really .

Status
Not open for further replies.