Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High power constant current circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coza

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been looking to make a constant current circuit of 6.5A at 14V (looking to reconfigure for 4A as well).

I have tried using a darlington pair to limit the current flow. This was controlled by a shunt resistor and sense points feeding in to a op-amp current amplifier. I am confident this works fine. The current amplifier then feeds in to an op amp current comparitor and using a reference voltage (2.5V). From here is where I think I am getting a little stuck.

My current comparitor feeds into a base of an npn transistor with the emitter to ground. At the point the current comparitor reaches the desired current I want the npn transistor to start switching and turning the darlington pair off to reduce the current.

So far upon testing the whole circuit works fine up until I look at adjusting a constant resistance load. I still seem to be able to draw more than my desired current.

Have I missed anything obvious?

Many thanks

Constant_Current.JPG

I haven't had time to fully analyze your circuit but you have your output transistor reverse biased.

I have tried moving the 220K resistor to the emitter side of the darlington pair.

I am aware of the massive heat dissapation given out from doing this and have got it attached to a large heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.