Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High frequency ripple current charging NiCd cell is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

Supposing a i have a triangle wave of average value 400mA, and peak = 500mA and trough = 300mA, and duty cycle = 50% ('up' slope time = 'down' slope time), frequency = 100KHz.

If i charge a NiCd cell with this triangle current, then would the charging efficiency be the same as if a 400mA flat DC current had been used?

Over time, whereby the cell was repeatedly discharged and re-charged, Would the cell capacity degradation with time be worse with the triangle charge current or the flat DC charge current?

I know for a fact that with lead-acid cells , any ripple causes "micro" charging, whereby current peaks occur in tiny sections of the plates killing them, then the current spikes move on and on...it ends up with the cells having a short life. I think, its to do with the high frequency components looking for a low impedance to RF, rather then regarding it as bulk material with the same characteristics throughout.
Frank

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back