Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high frequency oscililator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant17

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys i was wondering if anybody can suggest a ic or circuit that i can generate either a square wave or sinewave output with a frequency range from 1khz to 100mhz i have tried a a colpits and 555 timer oscillators but have not had much luck with them

You can use DDS chip such as AD9854 if you do not care the cost. it is difficult to cover such a broad band with one chip.

Reactions: ant17

ant17

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The problem is that such wide frequency range simply cannot be covered with a single IC. The 555 is designed as a TIMER, for rather long periods of time, i.e. frequency range from 0.001 Hz to ~50 kHz. Other ICs like XR series can operate from 100 Hz to 10 MHz. Some DDS ICs can run as high as 100 MHz but I doubt that they can generate also ~1 kHz.
You should find ICs suitable for partial ranges and build three or four oscillators.

The problem is that such wide frequency range simply cannot be covered with a single IC. The 555 is designed as a TIMER, for rather long periods of time, i.e. frequency range from 0.001 Hz to ~50 kHz. Other ICs like XR series can operate from 100 Hz to 10 MHz. Some DDS ICs can run as high as 100 MHz but I doubt that they can generate also ~1 kHz.
You should find ICs suitable for partial ranges and build three or four oscillators.
or would be better off with some sort LC tuned oscillator

Alternately, you can build a LC vco from 500Mhz to 600MHz and mixed with 500Mhz down to 0~100MHz. You can use ADF4360-7 if you do not want to tune. However you have to set the ADF4360's frequency resolution to 1KHz to get the min 1KHz frequency and need isolation between 2 vcos. You can also use a divider( CPLD or others) to generate the low band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back