Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-end internal sound card for laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorchava

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm kind of writing on behalf of my father. He wants to buy a new laptop. The main requirement is for it to have a GOOD integrated sound card, as he's a bit of an audiophile. I know that there are external usb/firewire sound card out there and many have very good characteristics, but he doesn't want to carry another external box for the laptop all the time and is looking for a good INTERNAL soundcard.

So the question goes: are there laptops with either high-end integrated soundcards or replacable soundcard which can be changed like ram, GPU or HDD. Honestly I've never seen such thing, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. Budget is about $1k but that's flexible.

Any recommendations?

So the question goes: are there laptops with either high-end integrated soundcards

How is he going to reproduce the sound coming from the sound card?
I mean unless he has an external high quality amp and speakers there will not be much difference, the laptop speakers aren't that good.
If he is already using all that external equipment then a small external sound card will not be such a problem.

He's got quite a nice setup at his office and a much nicer setup at home (according to him, I'm not really into hi definition audio stuff), to both of which he wants to connect the laptop. He also intends to listen to the music from laptop on headphones.

But i guess that it would also be a viable idea to buy 2 external cards and put one with each audio setup, but there goes the question: if you're ready to pay for 2 cards wouldn't it be better to buy one, but twice as expensive (I assume that price is proportional to the quality)

Status
Not open for further replies.