Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Current Triac Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

normad

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Im developing a triac circuit for a high current switching application. And i was able to find this triac TIC263 which can support 25Arms continuous current.
The triac comes in a SOT-93 package. but im confused as what to use as the base of my circuit. I cant use PCB because the tracks would have to be massive to support 25Arms and i cant wire them because i cant find a suitable base for the SOT-93 package, with screw-in terminals.
How do you go about placing high current SOT-93 devices in a circuit?

thanks in advance

You put them put them on a PCB with heavy (2-3oz) copper and wide traces. Here's a calculator for that. You can also run parallel traces on more than one layer to distribute the current.

Alternately you can just solder wires to their terminals on their heat sink (and they will need a healthy heat-sink at 25A where they will dissipating well over 25W).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.