CMOS

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high current multiplexer

Hi,
I am designing a Digital IC Tester for which I am looking for a High Current Analog Switch/Multiplexer to supply VCC and GND to every pin of 24-pin ZIF socket. I n my protoypes I used CD4051 (Analog Mux.) and CD4066 (Analog S/W), but they failed supplying current to some ICs requiring a bit high supply current like 74LS150. Both of these ICs have max. current capacity of 10mA only. I don't want to use transistors due to space restrictions.

Can anyone suggest a good low cost, high current 8:1/16:1 analog multiplexer/switch with current capacity > 30mA availabe in SO or TSSOP packages? Or any other suggestions for this probelm ?

high current mux

You could use a high pin count microcontroller and connect each of the zif pins to a microcontroller pin. Then, in software, you could set the power pin to vcc, the ground pin to ground and leave the rest tri-stated so they do not interfere. PICs can supply 25mA in their pins, you could probably stretch that to 30 mA without damage. Perhaps other microcontrollers have higher supply capacities.

I suppose you are already using a microcontroller so that you should be able to use a 40 pin uC and cover every available socket pin and have the uC do all of the testing.

If you aren't using a microcontroller, then you should still use one merely to distribute power since I don't know of any non-uC IC that could do the job. Or, go FPGA...

high current analog multiplexer

cdallacosta said:
I suppose you are already using a microcontroller so that you should be able to use a 40 pin uC and cover every available socket pin and have the uC do all of the testing.
Yes I am using AT89S52 microcontroller. But its port are not as strong as that of PIC's.

artem said:
use smd transistor arrays with several transistors in one chip .
Can you please give number of such arrays? I know only sinking type arrays like ULN2003. Are there any sourcing ones too?

multiplexer using transistor

you can search google and find those
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…