Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS-ciruclar waveguide port field display

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyvaisman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,i'm new to hfss and this forum and i have a question that i hope will be answerd:
i'm trying to simulate a 20mm radius circular waveguide in hfss. i did a port solution only on the first 6 modes
and only the 3rd and the 6th mode made sense to me . that matched my analytical calculations concering the cut-off frequancies and the port field display matches the shape the electric field should be ( the 1st mode is a TM mode- the electric field is radial , and the 2nd one is a TE mode -the electric field is azimuthical).i've add the port field display images to make myself clear . it seems to me that i should be using only the 3rd and 6th modes. what am i doing wrong ?
thank alot !
guy .

Attachments

• Mode1.png
    Mode1.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Mode3.png
    Mode3.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Mode4.png
    Mode4.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Mode2.png
    Mode2.png
    97 KB · Views: 131
  • Mode5.png
    Mode5.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Mode6.png
    Mode6.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 146

You might find Moreno or Southworth helpful references for circular waveguide modes. The mode numbers in HFSS do not often match the numbering conventions in the literature. That adds fun to the effort.

Reactions: njzyfr

njzyfr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi guyvaisman,

The fundamental mode of a circular waveguide is the TE11 mode and this mode is double degenerate ( in sinus and cosinus) so the first two modes on HFSS appear to be 90° rotated (mode 1 and mode 2 on your Thumbnails). After, you have TM01 mode that is non degenerate and has a circular symetry (mode 3 on your thumbnail). Then, follow, TE21 , double degenerate sin and cos (mode 4 and mode 5 on your thumbnail). and finally the three degenerate modes , TE01 , TM11 (x2 degenerate in sin and cos) (TE01 mode 6 of your thumbnail).

HFSS give the same exact list of the circular waguide mode than you can find in microwave book. Nethertheless, HFSS don't give the name but only classify the modes by increase cutoff frequencies and after numbered them.

That's all.

Good work in your HFSS simulations.

Last edited:
Hello eraste,
thanks for the reply ,now i understand what are those other modes i got. what i still don't understand is why all those modes with sin and cos dependency propagate?
the structure is azimuthal symmetric so only TM0m and TE0m modes should exist.why am i wrong ?
thank alot ,
guy .

Hi,
The structure has a circular symetry but the modes have not all the circular symetry. In fact the tangential component of the electric field must be null on the waveguide wall. It means that the electric field has no component or has a normal component. The sin and cos dependence is an analytic solution of the Maxwell Equation. To be more accurate, the sin and cos are function of (m x Teta) in circular coordinate, so when m=0 the mode is no degenerate and is absolutly circular (no dependency of Teta). On the other side, when m is different of 0 the mode is degenerate (because sin and cos are present) but the symetry is not circular.
To conclude, these no circular modes (when m different of 0) exist and propagate too and have their own cutoff frequencies calculated from the zero of Bessel functions for the TM mode or zero of the derivate of Bessel functions for TE modes. They answer to the Maxwell Equations.

later.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back