Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - Can I make a parametric sweep variable dependant on frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basic question

I want to draw a model in HFSS, with one of the parameters being a length 'L'. A want to sweep the frequency over a range (say 3-6 GHz), but have the length L always a half wave long. So a table of L vs frequency would be:

1. 3 GHz - 50 mm
  2. 4 GHz - 37.5 mm
  3. 5 GHz - 30 mm
  4. 6 GHz - L=25 mm

Is there any way to do this using the Optimetrics in semi-sensible way? If I test at 20 frequencies, I could create 20 models, with each one having a different value of L, and solving them one after the other. But that would be a tedious and error prone way.

Background

I want to estimate the fringing capacitance of an open 'N' connector at the reference plane. I've attached a picture of the N connector, showing the reference plane. Since the reference plane of a male N is at the very front of the RF bits of the plug, it's impossible to put a wave port there. So I thought I'd put a bit of coax on the plug, and make that coax of such a length 'L' that it is always exactly λ2. Then the impedance measured at one end of the coax is the same as would be at the reference plane, since a half--wave will just repeat the impedance. I've no idea if that actually holds or not.

Next question
Does anyone know of a better way I can use HFSS to find the fringing capacitance of a connector like the N?

Attachments

• n-connector.png
    n-connector.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 92

Yes, u just need to define the length and then sweep over all combinations of freq and L, while setting L=lda/2. lda is wavelength which is a variable in freq domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back