HFSS - can I do optimetrics where solution frequency changes dynamically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to find the resonate frequency of a number of folded dipoles on a boom using HFSS. I can of course take a rough guess based on the dimensions of the dipole. I would then set that as the solution frequency, and let HFSS work it out more precisely.

However, I want to cover a range of dipoles from 0.3 m to 4 m. Is there any way I can use the optimetrics (or some other way) to analyse folded dipoles with this range of lengths, whilst changing the solution frequency each time, so it is approximately where the dipole is resonate? Although the length of the dipole has been parametrized, I can't set the solution frequency to anything other than a fixed frequency. If I could, I'd use a frequency in MHz of something like 150/length, but HFSS will not accept that.

I also want to set the frequency span as a function of the dipole length. It's pointless analysing a folded dipole 4 m in length at 500 MHz, when I know it will be resonate around 37 MHz.

Although I do have an HFSS license on a Windows laptop, this will need to be done on a Linux machine, as it will take too long on a laptop. That means a lot of the HFSS scripting is not available, as that uses some Windows specific code. (Visual Basic, or something like that. Forget what it is, but whatever it is, it can't be done on Linux).

I did think of setting up the model, saving the .hfss file, then using a C program to create a few hundred modified versions of that .hfss file, where the length of the dipole, solution frequency, start and stop frequency are all sensible values.

Another option would be to use the optimetrics, but only over a smaller range of lengths. So I set up one file where the dipole lengths are varies from say 300 mm to 500 mm, with the solution frequency set at 375 MHz. and the sweep over the range of 250 to 600 MHz.

But all of these ideas seem a bit of a hack. I would expect there is a better way.

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…