Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with VGA on Digilent Nexys2 : Monitor displays blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

karvin89

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Problem: Monitor displays blank state

I am trying to display images on a monitor. I am using the VGA controller code provided by Digilent that uses a 25Mhz from a DCM and outputs HS and VS signals (which I tested for correct timing). The controller also provides two 11bit horizontal (vecHcount_640_60) and vertical (vecVcount_640_60) pixel address counter buses. I have instantiated this controller in a main VHDL module that communicates with the Microblaze and also provides a 6336 (88 x 72) 8bit byte array which I intend to use as Video ram. The board has termination resistors for 8-bit RGB data. Digilent's built in test code works and displays some psychedelic stuff.

Code:
    type ram_type is array (0 to 2** 13) of std_logic_vector( 0 to 7) ;
    signal video_ram : ram_type; 

-----  I use  the following code bit to map the 11 bit buses to the video ram.

RGB_OUT_temp <= video_ram(conv_integer(conv_integer(vecHcount_640_60)+(88*conv_integer(vecVcount_640_60))))   
                            when ((vecHcount_640_60 < 88) AND (vecVcount_640_60 < 72)) else (others => '0');

--RGB_OUT <= RGB_OUT_temp when bitBlank640_60 = '1' else (others => '0');
    RGB_OUT <= "10100100";

As you can see, I even tried setting RGB_OUT to some random color and the monitor is still blank. Monitor seems to recognize HS and VS which I already verified on an oscilloscope.

Is there something fundamental I am missing here? I looked into a couple of other example codes but did not notice anything odd.

Regards,

Karthik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back