Not open for further replies.

PeterUK2009

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guy I need some help here!

I am trying to do something that suppose to be really simple but its taking me some time!

The goal is to produce a HDL code which send a letter to the PC by the serial port UART.

the communication is

19200 b. rate
8 bits data
1 bit start
1 bit stop
no party
no error

so 1 bit start by 8 bits of data and the 1 bit stop!

the stop tick rate at 16

I am try to send the letter A which is 41 hex which is 00100001 binary and I am getting in the PC the symbol "." which is 2e hex and "00101110" binary

The hardware is a Spartan 3 board at 50 M clock from xilinx

I would like to add that I have run the manufacture test which write spartan dev 3 kit ( or something like that) and it works fine. Therefore, the board, the max232, the cable, the PC, and the serial application is working fine!

I am attaching a link there my vhdl code and also the ucf code.

Thanks for reading looking forward to hear from you!

NET "clk" TNM_NET = "clk";
TIMESPEC "TS_clk" = PERIOD "clk" 20 ns HIGH 50 %;
Net "tx" LOC="R13";
NET "clk" LOC = "T9" ;
NET "reset" LOC = "L14";
NET "tx_done_tick" LOC = "K12"; #led 0

This is where a good testbench, modelsim (or similar) and plenty of time to debug comes in handy. (PS. I noticed you're missing s_delay from the state machine sensitivity list).

What are you connecting this bit of code to?

I would like to post a update, work today and last night on this code. There is lot of modification done here!

Unfortunately after all work more putting into it still not working

now I have removed s_delay from the stage machine and go through the simulation step by step it look good on the simulation tool but it does not work on the hardware getting different asII symbol.

Any Ideals?

Here is a print screen on the simulation

P.D. notice I add some extra bits at the end so the idle stay longer, just I though maybe the PC need more time to synch but its a waste of code for sure.

P.D. notice I add some extra bits at the end so the idle stay longer, just I though maybe the PC need more time to synch but its a waste of code for sure.
In a fact, a receiving UART would be never able to sync on the start bit, if it connects to the bit stream at an arbitrary moment. You can make the test much more clear by sending a single character after an idle period. The baudrate measured in the simulation is correct for a 9600 Baud 10 bit frame.

I understand your point of view. about sync, but to be honest is not what I meant I was more thinking the ability of the PC receiving circuit to be ready for the next start bit. But this HDL is giving a long idle so I dont thing its needed any more delay to start the next start bit. I read somewhere that some computer need more than one stop bit, thanks *** no my PC .

Now I have completed this Thread and tested on my hardware and working I even changed to work at 115200 and all works fine!

I need to get back to this code because I had some problems on the way I was implementing delay! I still cannot switch to think as RT code designer.

But this HDL is giving a long idle.
I was referring to the simulation waveform. There's no idle time at all. In this case, synchronization is impossible.

Regarding the "more than one stop bit" question, there are two points involved.
- frame synchronization, as discussed before. It requires at least a full character length idle time.
- in a continuous data stream (after succesful synchronization), a single stop bit is sufficient, if the receiver ends character receiving in the middle of the stop bit. Otherwise, there's a problem, if the transmitter clock is slightly faster. Industry standard UARTs (e.g. in a PC chip set) should comply to this requirement, but if I remember right, some µP UARTs don't consider it.

Last edited:

One question can you post external URL here, Planning to create a tutorial about this but I will host it out side, is that ok? I am getting to many penalties LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…