Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with solenoid valve project

Status
Not open for further replies.

galpi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks,

I'm building a "nitrogen burst system" to develop film negatives. The film sheets stand vertically in a tank filled with the developer, and a solenoid valve releases nitrogen under no more than 30psi on some interval (say, every 15sec) to agitate the developer. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to control the solenoid valve with my laptop to have easy control over the burst pattern (continuos, every 30 sec, every 15 sec etc ...) and automate things. I'm thinking I need some sort of micro-controller driving relays connected to the solenoid valve. Does that sound right ? What should I look into to start with ? Any advice on either designs or parts would be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance.

thanks for the feedback ...

If I use a transistor as a switch, I'd have to use a DC solenoid valve. It seems pretty simple, but is an all AC solution better or easier ? If I used an AC Solenoid valve, I'd need to use a relay instead of a transistor as a switch ... what's the best option ?

Thanks.

galpi said:
If I use a transistor as a switch, I'd have to use a DC solenoid valve. It seems pretty simple, but is an all AC solution better or easier ? If I used an AC Solenoid valve, I'd need to use a relay instead of a transistor as a switch ... what's the best option ?

in AC case u need TRIAC + optocoupler instead of a simple Transistor

hi galpi

if u want to control ur solenoid using laptop u must have software under windows
like that and compatable hardware to drive ur solenoid.

but if u want to drive ur solenoid with electronics circuit without using laptop
u must define how ur timer triger with... external switch ...or with another cycle timer

abt type of solenoid if u work with liquids i prefer to use low voltage solenoid
its more safty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back