Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help With Really Tricky Project Involving Video Capturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

imauser

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all. I'm new to embedded systems, but not new to programming. I hope someone can help me with what I want to build.

My project I think will have 4 major components: 1.) some type of CPU/microcontroller board, 2.) 2 digital, embeddable cameras (CMOS or CCD), 3.) multi-channel video MPEG encoder, 4.) some type of storage device, i.e. hard disk or solid state. Basically I wish to create a type of surveillance system where I have 2 (or more) digital cameras, and I wish to capture the video data in real-time, encode it in MPEG format, and write it out to storage in separate files It will basically write out 15 - 30 seconds worth of data and just keep "looping" around and overwriting the previous data when it reaches the specified limit; I am not concerned about viewing the video (the purpose of the disk is for later retrieval by some other means).

There are 3 stringent requirements that makes this hard: 1.) all components should use "off-the-shelf" circuitry/parts, 2.) all components must be industrial grade to run in ambient temperature -40 to 85 C (it also must be fanless), 3.) the system as a whole should run off of 12 V DC. Requirement 1 is because I'm not an electrical engineer, so I wouldn't know how to engineer it, and 2 and 3 is because this will be used outdoors.

I believe this is readily doable if this were using a desktop computer, say inside of an air-conditioned office; I've searched around, but the operating temperature requirement may be an obstacle. Also, I have searched for multi-channel MPEG encoders, and there is one that meets my operating temperature requirement, but it only has input for analog video cameras via BNC.

In block diagram form (I've attached a JPEG), I have the cameras input that goes to the multi-channel MPEG encoder, then code logic in the CPU board that I will write multiplexes between the data from the encoder and writes the data to separate files on storage.

Also, by "off-the-shelf", I mean something that I don't have to do soldering, wiring, etc (I know I won't find these parts in say, Best Buy). Can someone point me to parts for this and if my thinking in the overview is in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back