Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Lightening Detector Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptone

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ALL,

I need help to design a device that detects position and intensity of lightening and then use this information to create Graphical Display eg. for a country

Urgently need help!!!!!

This should do it...

benjamin_franklin_and_his_kite_experiment_by_yathish-d5srba8.jpg

There are projects which have photosensors detecting a flash in the sky. This might give a rough idea of direction and intensity.

There are projects where a radio receiver picks up radio static, which is broadcast on every frequency by a lightning bolt. This would give an idea of intensity.

The Weather Underground radar display has an option to display lightning bolt locations.

I am mystified as to how they do it. Perhaps they have 3 separate radio antennas detecting static bursts. I suppose they would need to be far enough apart to allow the use of triangulation, and calculate where the lightning bolt occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.