Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! with LEAD ACID Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFly123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone help me translate this battery specification? I'm new to this. I wanted to know the Ampere/Hour so we could calculate the battery life for our devices. here is the specs given on the battery's side.

cycle use: 14.4-15.0V(25 degree Celsius)

initial current: less than 1.35A

Standby use: 13.6-13.8(25)

12V4.0P/20HR
thanks a lot guys

The spec as you have written it is not comprehendable. cycle use......... 13.8(25) are the charging voltages. its that 12V4.OP/20HR looks like its meant to read " nominal 12 V output at 4 Amps for 20 hours" { 80 AH} ? Is it as big as a car battery ?
Frank

Comparing with complete (or correctly spelled?) specifications of other batteries, it's apparently a standard 4.0 Ah sealed lead-acid battery.

Lets go back to basics. The battery specification is driven by the load requirements for example:

I want to supply 12 V at a load current of 10A for an operational time of 20h
The solution will be a 12 V battery with a 200Ah capacity
The charge time will be at least 200h (full charge cycle)
The above specification is for an ambient temperature of 20 deg C.
For lower temperatures and not doing deep discharge and charge cycles the efficiency of power in and out can drop to as low as 50%.
For too high an ambient temperature the operational life of the battery is shorten.

cycle use: 14.4-15.0V(25 degree Celsius): This is the maximum voltage supplied by the charger to the battery for overnight charging. Modern chargers will reduce this voltage after the charge current drops below some level. Leaving the battery under "cycle" charging voltage for long, will reduce its service life due to gassing.

initial current: less than 1.35A: This is the maximum charge current that the battery may accept. So if your charger delivers more current, you cannot use it for this battery as this may damage the battery.

Standby use: 13.6-13.8(25): This is the recommended charge voltage that you may apply for very long time. This holds for applications where the battery is used as a back up. The main supply in the device using the battery backup keeps the battery at this voltage. So when there is a power faillure, the battery is fully charged. Charging with this voltage takes longer (then using the "cycle" voltage levels), but secures maximum service live in standby operation.

12V4.0P/20HR: Very likely: this battery is 12V, has a capacity of 4Ah when discharged over a periode of 20 hours. In this case, this means discharging with 0.2A. What is the size of it? As it may also mean 12V 4A for 20 hours (so a 80Ah battery).

Note that leaving lead acid batteries uncharged will distroy them for sure (sulfatation). Note that actual charging voltage should be corrected for temperature. The Lower the temperature, the higher the charge voltage should be for efficient charging. check your batteries on regular intervals. A fully charged lead acid battery, left alone for some days (that means no charge no discharge for some days) should read about 12.8V on your voltmeter. When it drops below 12V, you should charge the battery for sure.

Thanks for the reply guys.
@chucky - I agree that it's kinda confusing especially this part "12V4.0P/20HR" the physical size of the battery is 2x2x3 inches. I'm not familiar with "car battery" as well

@FvM - I am also guessing that it would be 4AH because most of the battery I've seen has it.

@Klystron - thanks for the inputs.

@WimRFP - the size of the battery is 2x2x3 inches.

also it has an "LCL" written at the side and I have no Idea what it means

I am also guessing that it would be 4AH because most of the battery I've seen has it.
You surely noticed, that you can estimate capacity from battery size in this case, because all competitors have nearly identical capacities for standard size lead-acid batteries, may be different by 10 or 20 percent. Looking at the battery description syntax of other vendors also clarifies that "P" stands for "Ah". Would be easier to understand if you reveal the manufacturer and country of origin.

Surprizing. All Panasonic lead acid batteries I came across yet had an Ah marking.

Its 4Ah but if you discharge this battery in 20h time (not less). If you go under 20h discharge time battery capacity will be drastically smaller!!!! There is no 4A for 1h!!! Its chemistry, battery must produce electric power, its like factory, capacity of production is 200mA during 20h continuosly, all complete 4Ah. It can give more then 200mA inrush current but then all produced power from battery will not be 4Ah!

4Ah means if you draw 200mA for 20h.

Initial current 1,35A or less tell you that this battery is not starter type, its deep cycle battery. You cant use high inrush current on this battery!!!!!!!

Lead Acid batteries like this have service life 3-5 years but that can be shorten with bad usage or charging or can be prolonged with proper charging and usage, and if you use this battery periodically with desulfatisator or battery is not exposed to vibrations.

You should search datasheet for this battery and read manufacturer data and see discharge curve according to load current or resistance.

I think its OEM Panasonic battery.

Do you have exact model number ?

Last edited:

"@WimRFP - the size of the battery is 2x2x3 inches", this means it is 4 Ah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back