Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!! What is the max value of "on chip" capacito

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhalerao

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all,
I am currently working on a research problem.. I am stuck at a point where we need to decide whether our system can be fabricated on a chip...
Our system needs 1uF (16 nos.) capacitors, a 10 uF capacitor and a 5.5 uF capacitor .......
Can such values of capacitor be faricates using the standard chip making process in Si... My prof. seems to think that such high vales (anything about 100 nF) cannot be fabricated on the chip and will have to be included as an external discrete component... Could anyone give links to any papers that claim to have used such values of "on chip" capacitors??
Thanking all in advance,
Shantanu Bhalerao

Re: Help!! What is the max value of "on chip" capa

sbhalerao said:
Our system needs 1uF (16 nos.) capacitors, a 10 uF capacitor and a 5.5 uF capacitor .......

They are very high capacitors values, pf's values are high values!!

uF capacitors seem big to me.

I already used a 0.35u process and several pF capacitors are in some circumstances feasible, allowable.

But uF capacitors? I think they should be external. Or maybe a redesign of your system can make the required capacitors smaller so you can make those integrated. It also depends on your process of course. But I have no idea about the capacitor sizes for other technologies

Hi,

I checked out that for umc .25um mixed mode devices, the max geometric size is 100um. For a MIM cap having a size of 100um by 100um, you can only get ~ 10pF capacitance!

I have no access on other process kits, but I think a capacitance in microFarad range is not likely to be available in IC form.

several hundred pico Farad (pF) is still reasonable, more than that go for external component.

too large to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back