Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help us select a type of camera for robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgl_13gr

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody! We are currently starting a project to build a simple robot which will avoid obstacles based on vision, that is a simple camera. We are searching for cameras available for our project. We already have the platform for the robot and the microcontroller.
We are looking for something pretty cheap and yet with the ability of some image processing, but not anything too special.
For the time being I am just trying to figure out what are the available technologies and what are the advantages of each (for example what are CCD cameras and the advantages over CMOS, what interfaces are there and which to use, why and if do I need a framegrabber and so on).
I would appreciate if you could suggest me any general readings on the subjects of the hardware part of robot vision or digital image capturing in general.
Any specific suggestions or links for simple vision systems that could be used for robot navigation would also be more than welcome!
Thanks in advance for your help! I know that I am not giving any specific information, but I am also searcing in general so just drop ideas! We are students and yet at the beginning!

PS. One system suggested by our proffesor was the CMUcam2. I think we need something similar, but I haven't found any other similar options on the web!

Re: Camera for robot

First of all, if you would like to relay on camera vision as the guide for your robot you put yourself in a difficult situation: a camers can produce X-Y picture but you dont have depth (Z). Consider using something like ultrasonic sensor to sense distance from objects ..
As far as vision from camera is concerned, any camera will be good for your application (CCD or CMOS). The main issue is the effective number of video lines 9you should have >400) and camera light sensitivity (<0.5lux).
Initially you can use B/W 1/3" CCD camera with 3.6-4.8mm lens (B/W camera has much better resolution and sensitivity than average colour unit), transmit this picture from robot to robot controller using wireless link, then video capture card for video processing - this part I am leaving for the time being open, and send commands back to robot, again, using wireless link ..

Re: Camera for robot

search for AVRCam project in google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back