Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to find Standard Antenna for Gain Measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element7k

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I will like to measure gain of an AUT in an Anechoic chamber.

I need a standard gain antenna. Anyone like to recommend any supplier with a website that I can get one quite cheaply?

Any suggestions to obtain gain without the standand gain antenna will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Element7k

Element7k said:
Hi there,

I will like to measure gain of an AUT in an Anechoic chamber.

I need a standard gain antenna. Anyone like to recommend any supplier with a website that I can get one quite cheaply?

Any suggestions to obtain gain without the standand gain antenna will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Element7k

Hi, buddy!

Standard gain antennas are usually the horns. The cheapest way is I think to design it by yourself (i.e.MWS) and let the mechanical company to build.
We did it when we needed Double ridged horn working 200MHz-2.4GHz. It works great and the price is 8O low.
You can take inspiration from antenna catalogues and try!
Eirp

PS: you know the metods for determining antenna gain. It's not necessary to have standard gain antenna - what about 2/3 antenna method?
Horns are used when you need to know gain very accurate.

Hi eirp,

thks for your reply. It was helpful. The problem is that we want to intergate the antenna with lasers so we need to know how much gain the antenna can provide. I have found a set of tunable dipole reference antennas but they cost about 5000 euros :( . The optics people has feedback to me that the choice of laser can be affected by a +/-2dB error in antenna gain measurement and I was wondering how true is that?!!! :roll:

element7k

hi good day

see www.seaveyantenna.com

we provide many antenna solutions including a line of standard gain horns

however it maybe cheaper for us to test it for you
what band are u operating in....what style of antenna?

gb

Hi ghb,

thank you for your offer. We have decided that we will buy the tunable antennas. We operate at the moment in the region of GSM to hiperlan2 bands. Mostly Pifa antennas.

Cheers,
Element7k

ghb said:
hi good day

see www.seaveyantenna.com

we provide many antenna solutions including a line of standard gain horns

however it maybe cheaper for us to test it for you
what band are u operating in....what style of antenna?

gb

Element7k said:
Hi eirp,

thks for your reply. It was helpful. The problem is that we want to intergate the antenna with lasers so we need to know how much gain the antenna can provide. I have found a set of tunable dipole reference antennas but they cost about 5000 euros :( . The optics people has feedback to me that the choice of laser can be affected by a +/-2dB error in antenna gain measurement and I was wondering how true is that?!!! :roll:

element7k

You mean laser aiming of antennas?
Accuracy strongly depends on pattern-width. If you have parabola with -3dB angle 1 degree than bad aiming can affect it significantly.
Rgz,
Eirp

1st , you have to set the wanted uncertainty.
2nd you may design and build 2 identical horns, then check by measurement the gain of both.
3rd , measure your Antenna Under Test.

An alternatite to design and build horns, is to buy unspecified and uncertificate piramidal horns. They are mechanically the same than the standard horns but they are sold whitout any certificate.

You could build your own, but I do not see how that will be any cheaper (unless you are an antenna expert) as you will probably screw it up and end up with a "non-standard" gain (testing and rework)!

Buy one. If you are cash poor, get a used one (but with calibration data).

Seavey, ARA Technologies, AH Systems, ETS-Lindgren--all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back