Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help the absolute beginner order his PIC's ,Programmer,book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always_Confused_Sudent

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
site:www.edaboard.com easy microcontroln

Hi there,I've read some articles,posts..etc about PIC's and it seems they are really useful and interesting,but the thing is I dunno how to start,can someone give me a link to a good site where I can find everything i need to start ? what book should i buy (remember I still know nothing about it)....

Re: Help the absolute beginner order his PIC's ,Programmer,b

There are vast resources of information on PIC microcontrollers available on the web. Many public and university libraries have books on PIC micros. Here is a short list of popular PIC books you may want to look for:

Easy PIC'n

Easy Microcontrol'n (this is the revision and successor to Easy PIC'n)

Programming and Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers

PIC'n up the Pace

Microcontrol'n Apps (this is the revision and successor to PIC'n up the Pace)

You can search and look these titles up at amazon.com, your local libraries, or a good bookstore that sells technical books, including foreign ones.

As far as programming PIC chips, you need a few things:

PC.

Chip programmer, which is a hardware device that actually "burns" the code and data into the PIC chip.

Software for the hardware Chip programmer (usually comes bundled with the hardware programmer)

Software to write the actual program code in, such as assembler or compiler (for example: MPLAB is a free application from MICROCHIP that is used to write and debug PIC assembly code, and PICBasic compiler (not free !) is an application to write the program code in Basic.

Check out the MicroEngineering Labs website for their excellent products, including items mentioned above. They sell product bundles that include everything you need to start programming PIC's right away.

https://www.melabs.com/

If all this seems complicated, you may want to consider Basic Stamp products, some of which are based on PIC chips (Stamp 1, Stamp 2).
You can find out about these at https://www.parallax.com/

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Greg.

Re: Help the absolute beginner order his PIC's ,Programmer,b

Great answer thanks,
which programmer should i buy from melab? are there other accessories or components I have to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.