Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help rf linear amplifier module low current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris20

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need an expert advice - I have an output from arbitrary waveform generator: sinus signal at 11Mhz, max amplitude 5-10V, low current (about 100mA). Is there a rf amplifier module that I could connect to this output through SMA to have a stronger signal (10 times at least).

Would appreciate a lot if someone could help!
Boris

Ok, so assume a 50 ohm source (close enough), and about +10 - 14dBm or so output, you have two choices:

Buy a module from minicircuits or the like, easy but expensive, or build something, plenty of HF linear amplifier circuits kicking around, something based on a pair of RD06HVF1 or the like would probably do the job, ferrite transformer in and out, bifilar DC injection with a single turn feedback tap, easy.

Regards, Dan.

Reactions: Boris20

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Boris20

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Those all have maximum output power levels less then what you say your generator is putting out (5V into 50R is 100mA = 500mW, a full +27dBm), plug in a morse key and I could talk to Australia with that much RF.

Now I don't know of any contemorary waveform generator that will do that much, +10dBm is a LOT more typical, so you might want to look at the spec sheet on your generator for maximum output into 50 ohms (Which will most likely be quoted as a power).

Now when you say 10 times, do you mean 10 times the power or 10 times the voltage, it makes one hell of a difference? What are you actually trying to drive?

At these power levels the amplifier has a big black heatsink in most cases, those little modules seem to top out at 10mW or so of output, probably not what you are after.

Regards, Dan.

RF Amplifiers are usually 50 Ohm out.

By low current you indicated 100mA which is normal for 50 Ohm @ 5V or 0.5 W pk

But by stronger signal 10x at least, did you mean 1A or 5W or 50V??

My guess is you want at least 1A. If so you must define the load reactance and if bipolar. THere are special Op Amps which can drive several "Amps."

Ok, so I'm learning a lot here but also getting more confused about some parts and I'll need to read about some parameters. To sum up shortly - there is an arbitrary waveform generator where the output is sinus signal, freq 11Mhz, max amplitude 10V and low current (max 100mA I'd say). It needs to drive an antenna designed for this frequency - 11mhz, so it should be amplified to give a stronger signal. I found the one in the link but again I'm not sure if it will work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HF-...300-with-300W-SSB-and-150W-FM/1317240706.html

Thanks again to both of you it means a lot to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back