Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help regarding imlepmentation of TCP/IP stack in pic controller(PIC18f4550)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeshan ahmed

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all...
i m working on a project, in which i will transmit sensor's outputs over internet using gprs modem.....right now i m facing problem regarding implementing TCP/IP stack in PIC controller...
Any help or supporting material in this regard will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Ideally, you would want to use a GPRS modem with built-in TCP stack, e.g. SIM300. Otherwise, you have to implement TCP and PPP protocol, including authentication and similar stuff. Quite demanding for a PIC18. You'll find example codes e.g. from Microchip or CCS, if you want to go this way.

thanks for yur reply
yes i m using a GPRS USB modem.....it means that i dnt have to write TCP/IP stack in my case ??
then plz help me how can i initialize MODEM for GPRS communication....and how to send data to my home made server which have particular IP....the goal of project is to transmit the readings of sensors connected to PIC18f4550 controller over internet using GPRS modem...

Thanks for your time!!!

yes i m using a GPRS USB modem
The modem must have a serial interface to connect to the PIC processor. USB isn't an option.
how can i initialize MODEM for GPRS communication
You have to consult the AT command manual of your modem. GPRS related commands are more or less standarized, but TCP/IP commands, if supported by your modem, are vendor specific. What's the exact modem type?

I won't expect a TCP/IP command set for the said modem, because it's mainly intended as a PC peripheral. I also don't see the benefit of using a (possibly cheap) PC modem, if it enforces the usage of an USB host controller. Most people are using dedicated embedded GSM modems with microcontrollers, e.g. said SIM300.

If my assumption about lack of a TCP/IP stack is correct, you're back to the TCP/IP stacks mentioned in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.