Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[HELP]POV LEDs assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabby21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
_http://www.instructables.com/id/Magic-POV-Wand-yet-another-POV-toy/?ALLSTEPS

sir the above link is an example of POV with 7 LEDs and accepts up to 60 characters. i want to build this one as a surprised for my gf.

i do have PIC18f4550, and extra components can be bought on electronics shop in our place.please, anyone can assist me on the coding? thanks in advance.

By the way,

on the step 4, the picture says that certain value of LED's equals letters and numbers. is this correct sir? i know there's a bit to tackle on the program.

what i do understand is when i want to write "T" ill turn on the LED 7 and off the rest , lets say with a delay of 5ms,and again turning on LED 7,delayms5, then turning on all the LEDs will make the a straight line, another delayms and then turning on LED 7 again and again until letter T will be visible. the delays are only assumingly correct.

Am I on the right track sirs?

Last edited:

on the step 4, the picture says that certain value of LED's equals letters and numbers. is this correct sir? i know there's a bit to tackle on the program.

what i do understand is when i want to write "T" ill turn on the LED 7 and off the rest , lets say with a delay of 5ms,and again turning on LED 7,delayms5, then turning on all the LEDs will make the a straight line, another delayms and then turning on LED 7 again and again until letter T will be visible. the delays are only assumingly correct.

Am I on the right track sirs?

Yes, you are on the right track.

Why not build a more useful POV device, like a propeller clock.

The wands are interesting, however after they have been waved around for 15 minutes, the novelty has worn off, they end up tossed in a drawer and forgotten.

At least the clock takes care of all the work and is an interesting conversation piece. You might even use the clock from time to time, no pun intended.

BigDog

Yes, you are on the right track.

Why not build a more useful POV device, like a propeller clock.

The wands are interesting, however after they have been waved around for 15 minutes, the novelty has worn off, they end up tossed in a drawer and forgotten.

At least the clock takes care of all the work and is an interesting conversation piece. You might even use the clock from time to time, no pun intended.

BigDog

Sir,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to start on a basic POV set up after doing complicated ones. I have seen various of POV clocks and its an awe for me, along with it, a complicated programming needed, i have never tested POV before even setting it up.

What i plan to do is, the POV LED will tell a story after it starts since i want to impress my gf with this. Maybe a paragraph will do. :D

Sir question, ordinary DC motors will do on this kind of project? Ill dig deeper if i really do understand how POV LED works and catch the correct timing. All are in theories but if i tested it right with hardware interface, i guess i might able to get the trick.

By the way sir, does the picture on the link have the right combination of bits with an equivalent value of letters and numbers? like letter A=0000001?

---------- Post added at 07:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4F8UbM-1t4

sir, regarding the above link, i think they used a PC fan? the POV LED module mounted on it. Ive seen such fan on the electronics shops. Can i used this sir?

Last edited:

I want to start on a basic POV set up after doing complicated ones. I have seen various of POV clocks and its an awe for me, along with it, a complicated programming needed, i have never tested POV before even setting it up.

What i plan to do is, the POV LED will tell a story after it starts since i want to impress my gf with this. Maybe a paragraph will do. :D

Sir question, ordinary DC motors will do on this kind of project? Ill dig deeper if i really do understand how POV LED works and catch the correct timing. All are in theories but if i tested it right with hardware interface, i guess i might able to get the trick.

A DC motor with a stable RPM helps, however nothing really fancy is required. Old VCR, harddrive, etc, motors can all be used for the project.

Using a motor to consistently move the LED Array, can actually simplify the project and create a more stable display and does not complicate the coding.

And you do not have to use the device as a clock, they can be used to display a moving message as well.

BigDog

A DC motor with a stable RPM helps, however nothing really fancy is required. Old VCR, harddrive, etc, motors can all be used for the project.

Using a motor to consistently move the LED Array, can actually simplify the project and create a more stable display and does not complicate the coding.

And you do not have to use the device as a clock, they can be used to display a moving message as well.

BigDog

A big thanks to this sir. Im reading the different codes right now but they are in asm. Since ill be using mikroC, ill try to convert them. I agree with you sir, i will review table of arrays regarding the LED. Will come back soon for and hope there's progress. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back