Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] help please: regarding variable gain amplifier in cmos

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

v_naren

Dear members
I have designed a LNA(inductive source degeneration) at 900MHz with a Q of 36 using negative resistance circuit. I am trying to make a variable gain LNA from here on. I have cascaded the high Q cascode LNA with a source follower buffer to provide good S22 to match 50ohms. unfortunately since the Q is directly related to the load resistance across the LC tank...I have a gain of about 40dB at 900MHz with Q of 36. I need to make a gain variable from -3dB to 22 dB...any ideas on how to proceed?...I need to cascade a variable attenuator I suppose!!

but problem is that the S22 and NF degrade quite a lot and also making variable attenuator with MOSFETs seems a lot tougher due to poor linearity and related bias problems...I tried to make a gilbert cell too....but still am unable to achieve the range of attenuation need which will be from -43dB to -18dB...problem is that I am using 0.18um full CMOS tech...please help me

You can try to use a Vcc variable regulator, using a P-FET as a controlled regulator. This method is used in some mobile PAs achieving 30dB of dynamic range.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back