Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed to understand voltage multiplier circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nora

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello-
I am looking at a voltage multiplier circuit here:
https://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/27m.htm

In the first figure, 4-45A, the explanation states that the CR1 diode is forward biased (cathode neg, anode pos) and that this results in a closed switch function.

I'm missing a basic concept here as I thought that current cannot flow through a diode in this direction and therefore, the diode would act as an open switch.

Thanks in advance!
Nora

What they have gotten wrong is, they have shown the arrow. when the upper side is -ve and lower side +ve, the diode CR1 is forward biased. The arrow actually shows the direction of electron flow. They have wrongly stated it as current flow. Hope this helps..

Thanks-
So the current is flowing through the diode then, from cathode to anode, and therefore the diode functions as a closed switch?
Nora

Yes. Actually, inorder for a diode to allow current flow and act as closer switch, it have to be forward biased (you know thins I know ;) ) ie +ve at Anode and -ve at cathode.

Positive comes before Negative and A(node) comes above (before) C(athode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back