Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed on UCN5804B

Status
Not open for further replies.

thavamaran

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ucn5804b

Hi guys, im currently working with ucn5804b for my stepper motors, but the problem is from what i understand through the datasheet, it only supports 4 phase steppers, im planning to use 2 phase steppers, is it possible that ucn5804b can support 2 phase motors? and another thing, there is some problem with the quality of IC whereby me and few of my frens roast our UCN5804b by just connecting them according to the given schematic in datasheet.

I think that might be the problem with the output line where the current from stepper motor strike back the IC, can i get any suggestion on the circuit design, as what i thought was may be i could fix a diode on the output line and a resistor for current limiting.

I know the resistor value can be calculated out with ohms law, but then how about the power rating of the resistor? please guide me on this particular resistor part.

ucn5804b schematic

Hai thavamaran. The IC you have mentioned is a Unipolar stepper driver with open collectors capable of handling upto 1.5 amps of stepper coil load with an input of 35Volts DC and Bipolar motors cannot be driven with this. In case you burn the IC it may be assumed that you are driving the device more than the rated limits or the design you are using, has some flaws. Any way for more power, you may use mosfet based driver design with proper heatsink. Good luck

ucn5804b circuit

hi pranam77, thanks for replying, anyway bipolar probably have only 4 lead years, but my motor has 6 lead years and its 2 phase, according to the datasheet, it has
center tap which the 6 break into triplets. hereby i attach my datasheet, the model im using is PX243-01AA.

ucn5804b bipolar

The doubts regarding bipolar versus unipolar motors have been caused by your first statement, however PX243 can be perfectly driven by UCN5804B. But the supply voltage must not be higher than 4-5 V according to the motor specification.

stepper motor circuit with ucn5804b

Its my mistake FVM, anyway thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back