Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help needed for switch mode power adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiubmehedi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have switching mode power adapter (rated 5v, 1A) for adsl modem. but its not working. i managed 5v from cell phone charger but current rating 650mA.
when i plugged the charger to modem on given polarity modem power led lit but not work. i think it needs 1A. how can i increase current (constant 1A) for cell phone charger? help needed

how can i increase current (constant 1A) for cell phone charger? help needed
Either:
  • You can't.
  • You can't, safely.
  • You can't, longterm (= expect it to die soon).
So a 650mA adapter is simply not up to the task to power a device 24/7 that may take 1A. Fix that modem's power adapter if it's easy & cheap to do so. If not, just get a replacement. 5V, >=1A adapter should be easy to find.

I just thought to measure the actual current consumption of that modem (perhaps it's much less than 1A), but realized that's not a good idea: it may draw little current when sitting idle, but draw much more when handling lots of traffic, evaluating firewall rules etc (if it's got built-in firewall function) so it's safer to go with the specs as found on the housing or in manual.

get extension cable from your computer spare Molex conector for DVD or HDD and insert >1A PTC in series. with connector adapter for your cell phone.. simple parts from Digikey. or use USB3 port 900mA @ 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back