Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me implement a speed sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiji

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement my own speed sensor which will be used to monitor the

speed of a 3Vdc motor of an electric car. Any idea on parts to be used are

welcome, as i have no idea how to implement it.

rc wheel speed sensor

U can go for tachometer type design which will measure pulses per seconds.One pulse= One revolution

Re: Speed sensor

All cars with electronic fuel injection and static ignition systems use a teeth wheel. This component in conjuntion with a inductive sensor are used to see the engine position and rpm, this teeth wheel generally has 36 - 1 (in Ford cars) or 60 - 2. This means that these wheels has absentee teeths for reference point.

I think that you can buy a conjunt of sensor and wheel from any car and use it to your purpose.

If you use this, I have a circuit that I use to get the inductive signal from this sensor, and I can send it to you.

Speed sensor

i'm using hall effect sensor to measure wheel speed of an rc car.output of the sensor is fed into a counter, then into a microcontroller, PIC16f877A. can someone help me with the programming to calculate the speed?
thanx

:!:
just measure the rpm of the wheel with the help of the rpm reading i think u can calculate the speed of the car

Two choices, both simple algoritmes, not so simple to implemente.

RPM = rotation per minute or RPS = rotation per second

Choice one:
mesure the time between pulses (T in mili seconds), you already know the perimeter of the wheel (L in centimeters) so
Velocity = L / T in cm/ms, for km/h just do the conversion

Choise two (in my opinion better):
count the number of pulses in one second (C in rps, assuming just one sensor), again you already know the perimeter of the wheel (L in centimeters) so
Velocity = C*L in cm/s, for km/h just do the conversion

dont forget that if you are using more that one hall sensor in the same wheel then
rpm = number of pulses / number of sensors per minute
rps = number of pulses / number of sensors per second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back