Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design a 1MHz toroidal transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a 1 to 1 toroidal trasformer to use in a 1MHz 200V push-pull configuration.

Any hints, design assistance and ferrite material recomendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sonic

core materials suited for >1mhz

I assume that this is for sine wave signals and not a power supply. You are right in the center of the frequency range for ferrites. Ferroxcube at https://www.ferroxcube.com/ has loads of information. click the applications link and then you have a selection of application notes. Fair-Rite company https://www.fair-rite.com/ has application notes on transformers. In general, you will need a core about two inches in diameter. Ferrite is insulative so you can use enamled magnet wire. Use enough turns so that the reactance of one winding is about 4 times the impedance of your load. Gague 12 wire should work.

Are you wanting a real transformer where there is DC isolation between input and output, or do you want a balun for converting from single ended to push pull signals? If you want the latter, the core can be smaller.

driver transformer 1mhz

No, it's not for a power supply but for a pulsed hi frequency sqare wave generator at low duty cycle. Input to output isolation is required. so a real tranformer is needed.

2" diameter is large, I need like half that size!

I'll will check ferroxcube appnotes.

Regards,

1 mhz transformator

In power supplies slight nonlinearities in the core relative permeability do no harm. In radiated radio signals they cause harmonics and intermodulation distortion. That is why the larger core I suggested would be needed for radio work and the smaller core you want is adequate for your needs. Also the core material would be differenet for the two uses. Your use would use a higher relative permeability. Ferroxcube has core material especially intended for power supplies. 3C8 is one example.

transformer 1mhz

Useful info - Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back