Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me choose the right capacitors for an ITG-3200 DIY Breakout board

Status
Not open for further replies.

fax8

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm creating some DIY PCBs for breakout boards for various MEMS sensors.. I already successfully created a DIY breakout board for the ADXL345 and I'm now designing one for the ITG-3200 gyroscope. (Sorry, can't post links to the specs as I'm new to the forum)

On the datasheet (page 14) I read that 4 capacitors are needed, having the following specs:
C1: Ceramic, X7R, 2.2nF +-10%, 50V
C2: Ceramic, X7R, 0.1uF +-10%, 4V
C3: Ceramic, X7R, 0.1uF +-10%, 2V
C4: Ceramic, X7R, 10nF +-10%, 4V

My question is:
As I'm unable to find capacitors having such working voltages, would capacitors having a bigger working voltage (eg 25V) work as well?

To my understanding, working voltage is the voltage limit in which the capacitor keeps good dielectric proprieties. Above that voltage the dielectric breaks and current flows between the capacitors sides.

So, given that I can't find capacitors having 2V or 4V as working voltage, I could simply use 25V working voltage cap.

Is this correct?
Another little question: the datasheet doesn't say anything about capacitor ESR, is it safe to suppose that the capacitors don't have to be low ESR?

Thanks for your help,

Fabio Varesano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back