Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me calculate the value of C for a RC filter for which the supply is 12volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need to calculate the value of C for a RC filter for which the supply is 12volts,current is 500mA,R is 24 ohms.The output should be 90 percent of input i.e 10.8 volts in 10msec.i'm using the relation Vr=RC dv/dt, but then i need dt which is to be determined from the transient.i'm using the relation V=VoSinwt, but it is not giving the result.What should i do?

Re: RC filter

You can calculate it by step response:Vo=Vin(1-exp(-t/RC)). If at to=10msec,Vo=0.9Vin,(1-exp(-to/RC))=0.9,then,you can find proper C.

rahul.6sept,
Let Vo = specified voltage at time t
Vf = the final voltage (= the input voltage)
Vo/Vf = 1-exp(-t/(RC))
1-Vo/Vf = exp(-t/RC)
ln(1-Vo/Vf) = -t/RC
RC[ln(1-Vo/Vf)] = -t
C = -t/{R[ln(1-Vo/Vf)]}
Plug in specified values of R, Vo/Vf, t, and calculate C. Be sure to use consistent units, e.g., t in seconds, C in farads, R in Ohms.
Regards,
Kral

i determined the value of dt=8.564msec from the transient and substituted in the relation Vr=Vo RC dv/dt to determine the value of C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back