yawijaya

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help for pic18f4550

Hi guys,
anybody out there willing to assist me in USB programming with pic18f4550 with C++(preferably C++ builder)? i've read books, examples, and many others. But i think i'm missing the bigger picture and making it complicated. The help i need will probably be a little bit more detail in parts of the programming. I'm not a programmer, so i don't think i have the logic of a programmer. but i've given this task so i have to finish this anyway. so i ask for a big help here. If someone out there is willing. a big thanks to you!

Re: help for pic18f4550

You can not program the Pic18f4550 with C++ Builder. Two different ball games.
You need to use a C compiler targeted at the Pic18 family.
You can download Mplab development environment for Pic micros and a free student version of Mcc18, a C compiler for the Pic18f family.
USB programming is not trivial, Microchip provide a free usb stack which you can download from here.

**broken link removed**

The stack includes examples that you can use and modify to suit your application.
I suggest that is the place to start. Have a look at the example code.

hi btbass, i'm sorry i left out the detail. I already have all of those software and packages you recommend. what i mean with c++ is that i will also need to create GUI to interface with the board. and that one is using c++ builder. my bad for mis information. i use HID, so no need to make custom driver. the board is talking to the computer as far as enumerating and detecting it as usb HID. but i need help on the reports sending from device to host, back and forth using either interrupt or control transfer. I read examples, but somehow my brain does not process it right. so if you have any examples on that, i will greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

You need HID library to develop a program which communicates with MC.

I strongly recommend you to use Virtual Serial port (if ur a beginner) instead of HID which makes PC side programming more easy (.net has inbuilt serial port control).

Else search for HID libraries with Google.

Good Luck...

OK, I dig.
I am a big fan of Borland Builder and used it for many years. I'm sure you could find a Builder or Delphi component that supports usb hid.
But, a couple of years ago I discovered C# and Visual Studio. and have never looked back, C# is a very cool language, it takes all the best bits of the other languages and leaves out the rubbish.
If you know C++, moving to C# is a breeze. The team leader for C# is Anders Hejlsberg, the guy who wrote Turbo Pascal and headed Delphi development, so you will find a lot of things that are similar to Builder ide.
You can download C# Express from Microchip for free to get you started.
You will find loads of samples for C# and usb, such as

https://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/USB_HID.aspx

You will also find C# very productive and lot faster to program in than most other things out there.

Of course this might be to big a step to take. Typing 'Delphi usb' into Google produces a lot of results and you can use Delphi components with C++ Builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.