Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help for pic18f4550 in USB programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

yawijaya

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help for pic18f4550

Hi guys,
anybody out there willing to assist me in USB programming with pic18f4550 with C++(preferably C++ builder)? i've read books, examples, and many others. But i think i'm missing the bigger picture and making it complicated. The help i need will probably be a little bit more detail in parts of the programming. I'm not a programmer, so i don't think i have the logic of a programmer. but i've given this task so i have to finish this anyway. so i ask for a big help here. If someone out there is willing. a big thanks to you!

Re: help for pic18f4550

You can not program the Pic18f4550 with C++ Builder. Two different ball games.
You need to use a C compiler targeted at the Pic18 family.
You can download Mplab development environment for Pic micros and a free student version of Mcc18, a C compiler for the Pic18f family.
USB programming is not trivial, Microchip provide a free usb stack which you can download from here.

**broken link removed**

The stack includes examples that you can use and modify to suit your application.
I suggest that is the place to start. Have a look at the example code.

hi btbass, i'm sorry i left out the detail. I already have all of those software and packages you recommend. what i mean with c++ is that i will also need to create GUI to interface with the board. and that one is using c++ builder. my bad for mis information. i use HID, so no need to make custom driver. the board is talking to the computer as far as enumerating and detecting it as usb HID. but i need help on the reports sending from device to host, back and forth using either interrupt or control transfer. I read examples, but somehow my brain does not process it right. so if you have any examples on that, i will greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

You need HID library to develop a program which communicates with MC.

I strongly recommend you to use Virtual Serial port (if ur a beginner) instead of HID which makes PC side programming more easy (.net has inbuilt serial port control).

Else search for HID libraries with Google.

Good Luck...

OK, I dig.
I am a big fan of Borland Builder and used it for many years. I'm sure you could find a Builder or Delphi component that supports usb hid.
But, a couple of years ago I discovered C# and Visual Studio. and have never looked back, C# is a very cool language, it takes all the best bits of the other languages and leaves out the rubbish.
If you know C++, moving to C# is a breeze. The team leader for C# is Anders Hejlsberg, the guy who wrote Turbo Pascal and headed Delphi development, so you will find a lot of things that are similar to Builder ide.
You can download C# Express from Microchip for free to get you started.
You will find loads of samples for C# and usb, such as

https://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/USB_HID.aspx

You will also find C# very productive and lot faster to program in than most other things out there.

Of course this might be to big a step to take. Typing 'Delphi usb' into Google produces a lot of results and you can use Delphi components with C++ Builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.