Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help for Pic c compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

arup

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sir,

I am new to Micro chip microcontroller environment.I am about to select a compiler(for 12/14/16/17/18 series PIC mcu) for our project.We have to select between Hitech Pic C and CCS Pic C compiler.But price difference is huge.

Can anybody help me to choose one of them and why?

And what should be the compiler evaluation factors based on which decision can be taken?

Regards,

Arup

Go for CCS C.

Reasons:

1. You are new to microchip microcontroller programming
2. Quite cheap compared with Hi-tech C I think.
3. Routines for SPI, I2C, RS232 and other communication functions are readily available.

CCS was my choice because it creates smaller code than anything else. Smaller code = faster execution.

In my opinion:
The Hi-Tech compiler is more powerful than CCS.

The CCS compiler doesnt have a linker.

Dear Mr. btbass,

sir you said "The CCS compiler doesnt have a linker"
Is it so ? then how will this link my modules and generate hex file ??

regards,

Arup

bungee- said:
Smaller code = faster execution.
Well... that is not actually true. The smaller the code, the lesser the memory needed to store it... but, it doesn't mean it is faster. You can have very little code with many loops and many unintelligent jumps (many compilers are not optimized for that), and at the same time there can be a larger code with very precise operation, which in overall is faster...

don't mess size with speed

PICClite from Hi-Tech is free, and it is good enough for the beginner.

CCS does not have a linker so you must write programs as one big file.
A way round this is to include the 'c' file if you have seperate files.
CCS provide lots of fuctions and routines for the Pic peripherals.
But it is much like C for the pic rather than a generic c compiler.

thanks Mr. btbass.

so you mean to say e.g : if i have a file "main.c" and "timer.c" and i want to use a function defined in "timer.c" in "main.c" then i have to include "timer.c" in "main.c"
file ?? is it so ?
But earlier i have used keil,i didn't have to do these.Linker used to take care of these.
regards,
Arup

The best compiler is HItech.

I am working for other 5 years and i do not have any problem

And friend of mine worked with CCS and he had a problem with the I2C routine and etc

Yes, you have to include 'timer.c' in 'main.c'. So it is like one big c file.
Which is unorthodox.
Using Hi-Tech with mplab, you have a project to which you add files, you just need to include the 'h' files for the linker to resolve and locate the functions and compile the program. This is the standard way of doing things.
This is a better approach to rapid software development and promotes writing reusable code. You can group related functions into logical files and just link in the files as you need them. The functions can be optimised over time and using the mplab librarian, these can be compiled as libraries. Then the linker will only link in the called functions.
Hi-Tech strives to be Ansi compliant so it is possible to write code that complies with standards like MISRA.
Hi-Tech also provides a lot of sample code for the Pic peripherals, so CCS doesnt offer anything over Hi-Tech.

Cheaper than CCS, and everything HighTech is:
Source Boost C

It is under a hundred dollars, and you can have pointers to functions. It covers all families of PICs

don't mess size with speed

Agree, each code requires quite a number of clocking and speed is determined if how many cycles is needed for the micro to fully execute the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back