Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for Half Bridge Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ji_yasin

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my Solenoid driver project I an using IRS2304S half bridge driver to drive solenoid as my input voltage is below 20V and IR2304 works from 10-20V. I have a requirement to operate solenoid from 4V/5V to 25V input. So I am looking for a half bridge driver which can operate from 5V-25V with logic section compatible to IRS2304S. Please help me in finding.. I have searched a lot and went vein so I am seeking professional help. Please help..Datasheet attached for reference

Attachments

• irs2304spbf.pdf
    456.7 KB · Views: 87

You have to be more clear about your requirements. What drive voltage does the solenoid need, and what supply voltage do you have available? Why do you think you need a half bridge to drive a solenoid, rather than a simple low side switch with a catch diode?

Hi,

The solenoid is driving from an external 105V source as it requires the same. The Supply voltage what I have is buck converted 25V. I am using a two half bridge connected to solenoid to operate as H bridge so it can opened by driving in one direction using a 105V stored in a capacitor and closed by driving in opposite direction using 45V stored in capacitor as closing requires less voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

The currently used half bridge driver IC operating supply voltage specification is between 10-20V. The supply voltage is derived from a capacitor which is charged from battery. When battery power is not there my supply will start reducing from 18V to 10V. I am using a 470uf*2no. of capacitor so as my understanding is the discharge time will be ((470uF*2)*(18-10))/(5mA). 5mA is my discharge current and I am getting only nearly 2 sec. I want to increase this 2 Sec to atleast 5Sec. For that I added one more 470uF capacitor and thinking to raise the 18V battery to 24V and selecting a half bridge driver that can operate from 24V to 4V so that I will get ((470uF*3)*(24-4))/5mA = 5.64Sec. I am not sure I am thinking in the right direction. Please help..

Hi,
The solenoid is driving from an external 105V source as it requires the same. The Supply voltage what I have is buck converted 25V.
Okay so you have 105VDC and 25VDC...
I am using a two half bridge connected to solenoid to operate as H bridge so it can opened by driving in one direction using a 105V stored in a capacitor and closed by driving in opposite direction using 45V stored in capacitor as closing requires less voltage.
Is this some sort of latched/bistable solenoid? It's common for them to have two coils which can be driven independently to open/close the solenoid with simpler circuitry. Do you have a datasheet for the solenoid?
The currently used half bridge driver IC operating supply voltage specification is between 10-20V. The supply voltage is derived from a capacitor which is charged from battery. When battery power is not there my supply will start reducing from 18V to 10V. I am using a 470uf*2no. of capacitor so as my understanding is the discharge time will be ((470uF*2)*(18-10))/(5mA). 5mA is my discharge current and I am getting only nearly 2 sec. I want to increase this 2 Sec to atleast 5Sec. For that I added one more 470uF capacitor and thinking to raise the 18V battery to 24V and selecting a half bridge driver that can operate from 24V to 4V so that I will get ((470uF*3)*(24-4))/5mA = 5.64Sec. I am not sure I am thinking in the right direction. Please help..
Okay so now there is a removable 18V battery involved... you need to pose some sort of schematic because I can't make sense out of this.

Why not use the 25V supply to step down to 10-20V with a simple linear regulator, then use that for gate drive? Also 5mA of current is a lot for a simple gate driver to consume (unless you are using high frequency PWM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back