Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help connecting my Spartan 3E to VGA monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbabaee

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want to display simple text using my Spartan 3E board (Papilio One) on a VGA monitor. I write in VHDL. I have found some codes on the net implementing complicated features like games and moving images, but couldn't understand anything from the codes.

I need a very simple code for showing some text through VGA. I could not also understand what horizontal and vertical sync signals are.

Thanks in advance for your helps.

I could not also understand what horizontal and vertical sync signals are.
Oh dear, coding VHDL on a FPGA board, wanting to produce text on a VGA screen, but not a clue about video basics... Where to start? :?:

How about here: Wikipedia - raster scan.

VGA should be a relatively simple video interface to wire a FPGA onto - analog video with separate R/G/B, horizontal and vertical sync inputs. I'd start with some simple pattern generation, see **broken link removed** for an example. Also you'll need to change pin assignments to match your board.

After that you can decide whether you want full bitmap capability (read: external RAM to hold bitmap data), or text-only (in which case you might be able to use FPGA internal RAM blocks for text contents and/or bitmap font data). Don't forget to check OpenCores - they have some VGA controller projects there.

Oh dear, coding VHDL on a FPGA board, wanting to produce text on a VGA screen, but not a clue about video basics... Where to start? :?:

How about here: Wikipedia - raster scan.

VGA should be a relatively simple video interface to wire a FPGA onto - analog video with separate R/G/B, horizontal and vertical sync inputs. I'd start with some simple pattern generation, see **broken link removed** for an example. Also you'll need to change pin assignments to match your board.

After that you can decide whether you want full bitmap capability (read: external RAM to hold bitmap data), or text-only (in which case you might be able to use FPGA internal RAM blocks for text contents and/or bitmap font data). Don't forget to check OpenCores - they have some VGA controller projects there.

Thanks so much for your help. The VGA controllers at OpenCores are somehow complicated for a beginner and some of them are written in Verilog.
The Project in FPGA Arcade website is useful, but it uses 4-bit data for R, G and B signals. I just want to work with single bit resolution which is capable of showing 8 colors.

I first want to be able to show a color bar on the screen, when succeeded, I intend to show some characters. The final goal may be the bitmap, so I think the internal RAM would be enough.

I have a question now. For drawing a color bar on the screen, do I have to build the HS and VS clocks by dividing the main clock? And how and when do I have to send the R, G and B signals?

Thanks very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back