Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help about RF circuit simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenderne

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rf circuit simulation

hi all,

I got a basic question about RF circuit simulation, kindly give me some suggestion or just list some useful references. thanks a lot in advance.

suppose my circuit includes several parts, each part is represented by frquency domain [Y] matrix values. These parts are assembled into circuit, by connection with R, L, C. Now I want to analyze this assembled circuit, e.g. calculate the parameter, what kind of theory is applicable for the analysis? [Y],[Z], matrices, which one is better for circuit simulation?

Really have little knowledge about this kind of circuit analysis, any of your advice or recommended reading would be much appreciated.

regards,
tenderne

radio frequency circuit simulation

pls.... :cry:

My opinion is that S parameters are useful for simulation and provide useful intuitive information.

There are equations available in the text on how to convert between the different two port network parameters. Personally I find When adding a component to my circuit I would work with the Z or Y parameters, whichever is easier. I would then convert to T parameters and work out the resultant matrix which is a multiplication of the orginal circuit matrix and the new addition components matrix. I would then convert the resultant matrix to S parameters.

If you are working with say matlab it is necessary to deal with two port networks. If you are using a decent circuit simulator then you can probably just forget about the Z, Y, T ... two port network matrices.

Cheers

If the circuits are small, I like list all the U/I equations and solve them using matlab's symbol math. The Final S matrix can also be calculated out if the equations between Ux, Ix and Sxx are included.

Many thanks for all of your reply.

I don't intend to use any circuit simulator, actually my task is to develop a circuit simulator. size of the circuit is unknown, actually. :|

dear 'darcyrandall2004', would you please recommend some fundamental text books or references about RF circuit simulation? I am really rookie in this field... sigh... :cry:

My Favourite is

Introduction to Radio Frequency design by Wes Hayward.

Its got a good section on two port networks but be wary of the mistake on page 172. Actually Tc = Ta*Tb.

From there you should progress to The design of CMOS radio frequency integrated circuits by Thomas.H.Lee

Complete Wireless Design by C.Sayre has some good circuit examples on PLLs I believe.

Possibly the design of amplifiers and oscillators by the S parameter method I thought provides some decent information on stability circles.

My belief is that the best approach is to put whatever you learn from the text into code ie Matlab. I believe it aids learning and then if you have written some code that say calculates the component values for a Pi Match then later down the track you can reuse this code over and over again.

Then I would recommend reading the online text and downloading the matlab samples from this guy, something J Orphanidis something along those lines, try googling him. I have seen him referenced in these forums.

hi darcyrandall2004,

thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your kind help and patiences in answering my rookie questions. thank you very much again. God bless you.

regards,
tenderne

Status
Not open for further replies.